Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 glass pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Cool and cut
Arugula and Watermelon Salad (Jean Carper)
- Rinse and dry arugula. Chill
- Cut up about 2-3 cups of watermelon. Set aside until ready to put salad together.
- Bring 1 cup of balsamic vinegar to boil, boil gently about five minutes until reduced by half, should be syrupy.
- When ready to serve mix together the arugula and watermelon chunks in a large bowl.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar reduction over salad. Add crumbled goat cheese on top. (If the vinegar is poured over the goat cheese, it turns brown—not so appetizing, so put cheese on top.
- Pass extra vinegar in a small pitcher when serving salad.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
- Cook pasta in salted water. Drain pasta, saving 1/3 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot.
- Combine ricotta, feta, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- Stir 1/3 cup pasta cooking water into ricotta mixture.
- Toss mixture with pasta.
- Stir in herbs and chopped tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Cook orzo al dente in water with 1 tbl. salt and dash of olive oil for 9-11 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Pour over hot pasta in bowl and stir.
- Put shrimp on sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss and roast 5-6 minutes until cooked.
- Add shrimp to orzo. Add scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Toss. Add feta and stir easy.
- Allow flavors to blend at room temperature for one hour, or refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Kathy T. made this delicious salad with chicken, but we thought tuna would be a great choice, too.
Tuna/Chicken & White Bean Salad (Southern Living Magazine)
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 sweet onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¾ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (15 ½ ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12 ounce) can of solid white tuna in spring water, drained and broken into chunks
OR 1 can of chicken (I bought chicken breasts and seasoned and cooked them. KT)
Bib lettuce leaves
Tomato wedges or grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
Whisk together the first 9 ingredients. Add the beans and tuna (or chicken) tossing gently. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Serve on lettuce with tomato, if desired.
3 to 4 servings
Chocolate Mousse (Southern Living Magazine)
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
2-1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon rum
Garnishes: whipped cream and grated chocolate
Microwave chocolate morsels and ½ cup of cream in a small glass bowl at HIGH for 1 ½ minutes or until melted, stirring twice. Stir in vanilla and rum, blending well. Cool for 5 minutes.
Beat remaining 2 cups of cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold this whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pipe or spoon the mousse into a large serving bowl or dessert dishes. Garnish with additional whipped cream and grated chocolate if desired. Chill 2 hours or over night.
Makes 6 to 8 servings